Treatment 1: Modified Radical Mastectomy – Feb 8, 2010
February 23, 2010
A few days before mastectomy, I undergo Pre-admission Testing
Blood Test/count – normal
Lungs – Normal
The Pre-admission Testing conducted confirmed that I have only 3% risk of not being able to recover from General Anesthesia.
Here are the articles we read to prepare and make the unexpcted more expected:
Here is the medical term for the treatment/procedure or the specific type of mastectomy that I have had:
Modified radical mastectomy: The entire breast tissue (right breast) was removed along with the axillary contents (fatty tissue and lymph nodes).
What the articles did not tell us:
1. If you have VERTiGO, it will take you longer to recover from the General Anesthesia (the nurses informed us that usually patients wake up 3-4 hrs after surgery, but I was incoherent up to the 18th hour)– they say its because of my Vertigo. My CT Scan confirmed that I do not have anything to worry about as far as my brain is concerned.
2. That the drain that is supposed to capture the fluid from the tubes is not as simple as it sounds. My daughter has to help me to drain the fluid from the "drain", and measure the amount of fluid twice a day (8am and 8pm respectively), and report to the Breast Cancer Nurse (or BreastCAN Nurse), everyday until the total amount of fluid drained is leass than 30 ml.
Cranberry Juice Concentrate from 21st Century (buy from Pharmacy not Grocery Stores)
1. My daughter asked me to drink 50ml of Cranberry juice Concentrate 3x a day
VERDICT: Breast Can Nurse quite happy thaty the wounds healed quite fast. no infections. no soggy stitches.
She also insisted that I dont drink juice with sugar and other additives bought from normal grocery stores.
1. lots of raw almonds and fruits
2. raw veggies/salads
3. whole meal breads, sweet potato, brown rice
4. Protein from meat – limited to 50g of meat per day
5. Carrot and liver shake (for cancer eating enzymes)
6. TCM Medicine from TCM Centre @SGH called Bao Zhong Tang TCM Centre
We went to the Breast Can Nurse on the 17th February. Drain removed 9th day after surgery.