Skip to content

Most Embarassing Experience for an Alternative Therapy Enthusiast`

March 9, 2014

Most Embarassing Experience for an Alternative Therapy Enthusiast`is to be hospitalised for 4 days for something mundane as tonsilitis, which apparently was actually Acute adenoiditis

Acute adenoiditis is characterized by fever, runny nose, nasal airway obstruction resulting in predominantly oral breathing, snoring and sleep apnea, rhinorrhea with serous secretion in viral forms and mucous-purulent secretion in bacterial forms. In cases due to viral infection symptoms usually recede spontaneously after 48 hours, symptoms of bacterial adenoiditis typically persist up to a week. Adenoiditis is sometimes accompanied by tonsillitis.


Yeah! Yeah! I thought I had this totally eradicated before (read here).


I am prone to to tonsilitis or formation of tonsil stones since I was a child. My mother used to bring me to our family doctor every month and was given a steady course of antibiotics ever since. The attacks became less frequent during my adult years but much stronger…

Prior to our dabbling in natural therapy

  • hospitalized at a Local Hospital for severe tonsilitis and dehydration in 2002 — (solution: ENT cut a portion of my right tonsils and scraped/pressed the puss out of the tonsil stones,then a course of antibiotics and painkillers via drips)
  • hospitalized at a Private hospital for severe tonsilitis and dehydration in 2004 — ( antibiotics and painkillers via drips.. this was like a stay in a hotel as at that time the company I was working for have the best medical coverage)

When we started dabbling on natural therapy

  • the tonsilitis attacks/tonsil stone formation became less frequent/less intense and started to almost disappear completely, leading me to believe that I have eradicated it

However, for the past few months, it seems I have slowly succumbed to pressure at work and ate everything on sight (everything that my equally stressed office mates passed around.. chocolates, BAKWA (cured processed piece of meat just like the tocino that Filipinos like me love very much.. very unhealthy but very yummy)…

Then we were in a very tight financial position as almost 30% of my Salary is being remitted to the Philippines for a property that I am paying for in 6 months installment. Suffice it to say, I did not spend on quality food and quality herbs — sacrificing my health for that piece of land.

So there I was… Sunday, March 2, I can not eat solids anymore… March 3, cannot drink any liquid, I vomit or cough it out and I was breathless. I asked my mother to bring me to the hospital as I really need liquids to survive. I cannot even swallow a tablespoon of water, even if I force myself to swallow it.. within seconds.. my body would shake and cough/vomit and spit out until I was breathe less.. but I knew I need the hydration as my lips are starting to crack — I have started to hyperventilate, I have’nt urinated for 24 hours, I was pale and dizzy and sleepless and my already sunken eyes were more sunken than usual. With only about 100 dollars cash left on my wallet until pay day, I am pretty sure I cannot self medicate anymore and cannot risk doing this alone… so its time for emergency procedures…. but I knew what I needed was at least the following

  • dextrose (IV/drips) to address the dehydration
  • injectable antibotics and painkillers to reduce pain and swelling so I could start drinking again
  • apparently (nasal drops too) — read here

All of those were what I needed on March 4, Tuesday when we arrived at the local hospital’s A&E at about 4pm… they went through the usual screening and then the triage and then the first treatment…which only came 3 hours later…and that treatment was not what I expected they sent me to an ENT doctor who cut my tonsils to see if there is puss, pressed and scraped it until I cried (no tears due to dehydration)…

Why did I agree for this ENT procedure in the first place?

I dont know — perhaps lack of judgement, perhaps confused because of the pain… but waiting for 3 hours for treatment this is the best that I got.. and I also remember that in 2002 I have undergone the same procedure. However, this time there was no relief after the cutting, pressing and scraping.. but the doctor kept “digging” to make sure.. thats when I pressed his knees hard to let him know that I cannot take the pain anymore. So he said, I will need to be admitted so that I can be given antibiotics via iv/drips and that tomorrow he will have a go at it again (no mention of relieving my pain, no mention of my breathless ness, no mention of the dehydration).. All he cared about is the chance to be able to cut my tonsils.

But again, I tried to trust the system this is all I got.. I have no money… all I have is my Medisave and Insurance which this local hospital will use for my treatment.

After the first treatment… I was made to wait at the A&E Lounge again for another 2 hours.. until I kicked and made crazy movements to indicate my distress.. they kept saying oh the doctor is busy.. tried to write my requests/demands on my Iphone..

Painkillers!!! (they just looked at me and said yes, doctor will see you after this patient)

After another agonizing hour… of spitting saliva, coughing/vomitting, gargling my mouth… (this is the best I could do for myself for the moment)….I was finally injected with painkiller with codine (cough suppressant) and antibiotics.. the coughing/vomitting stopped and I managed to drink perhaps a tsp of water… but I was still breathless… and increasingly tired…I finally gave up asking for treatment and collapsed on the wheelchair..

Finally at 1am they said that “I have a bed available at Ward 55A”— finally I can stretch my legs…I can finally sleep.. but sleep never came.. nurses came in and out.. iv/drips, antibiotics, pain killers, check BP, check my oxygen level, but nobody addressed my breahtlessness … and by the time I doze of at about 5am or 6am.. the DR came — as if in a nightmare he woke me up and asked me to open my mouth again… I was so angry and tired.. but I opened it and he said… you will see another doctor at 11am for another look… what!!>>>??Wake me up at this hour for an 11am appointment?? Did you know what time I got a bed? and what time exactly i was able to sleep? Of course, I cannot shout right? But I was shouting on top of my brains and no one could hear.. if only eyes could speak!!!

So, i brushed my teeth and gargled with difflam, and was wheeled into the ENT again at 11am for the painful procedure, this time its a lady Dr. Perhaps she would be gentler? More caring? 1st thing she did is to call a peer to come to take a look so he will get the experience.. Ok fine in my distress i have to tolerate young doctors needing experience. Then she poked and injected me with local anesthesia while saying yes I know the needles even more painful and she kept injecting the roof of my mouth 5 times. Then started cutting again as if I am just some piece of dead meat.All this while I was couchung and hyperventilating so i was choking on my own saliva, phleghm and blood… Then she stopped asked me to spit and gargle… And then open my mouth wide again for which I said no and then my hyperventilating esclated.. The nurses came to try to calm me down.. They said close ur mouth, breathe through your nose and I was breathing under water… I was chocking on my own bodily liquids, I try to spit, cough and vomit despite the pain as I cant breathe then I said nose drops!!! What? One of the nurses said they cant understand me through my hyperventilation, coughing and spitting… Then I tried to demonstrate ” nose drops” by pinching my nose and pretending to use a dropper to put nose drops in.. Thats when one of the nurses sprung into action. That was a huge relief! And I was able to say, just let me sleep please and give me lots of pain reliever so I could sleep.. Then they finally let me go….

On my bed, I tried to lie flat on my back with my head elevated and breathe as calmly as I could, i wasnt able to sleep as I had to spit the unending supply of saliva, blood and mucus…I asked for a pan so I dont have to run back and forth to the toilet.. They gave me a plastic bag instead which was even harder to use.. So for another 8 hrs I have to run back and forth to the toilet…i told the nurse I cant breathe.. She used that odd instrument to check my oxygen level and said but your oxygen level is ok… Its ok?!! But cant you see that i am panting here as if I am running and swimming at the same time? i am so tired!!! Just give me the nose drops please! And so she did! I was able to sleep for 2 hours.. And the cycle began, 2 hrs sleep.. Nurse check me spitting and gargling then sleep again to be awakened by injections and morr checks.. But with small doses of sleep I was able to regain strength… At about 7pm, i managed to take in a few tablespoons of water only to be told i have to stop drinking at 12midnight until the procedure the next day.. This time, I hid a bottle of water beside me and continued to drink sips of water despite the pain.. Continued to spit and gargle… Until finally a nurse said I will give you anti vomitting medicine so u can sleep longer. So she did, I woke up at 5 am and drank more water, against dr orders. I am determined to show them all I need is hydration, antibiotics, pain reliever . The 5th dr then took a look again and told me he needed to cut again and i said No. He called the most senior ENT, who said “the symptomatic issue” is improving.. So yeah you can return her to the ward for one more night of observation. I felt triumphant!!! And for once, i heard the right statement yes the symptomatic issue is improving ( and I have to deal with the root cause myself at home cause all these doctors have no idea!!!! All they know is cut and dig for puss!!!)….so to prove that I am well and i dont need those cutting procedure, I ate my mashed banana (with gusto) and the porridge ( tolerated)– I even threw away a portion of it so theyll think I have finished it all.. I can actually eat more bananas and other soft fruits… But they only give us 1 banana at a time. The drooling stopped so I was more relaxed this time and was able to engage in chit chat with my 3 ward mates… But I continued to gargle everytime.. Even without DR confirmation I knew I will be going home the next day. I cant wait to go home to continue to recover without drugs but with pure fresh fruits and fruit juices and coffee enemas. True enough, the next day, I was freed from the IV/drips (they kept the three way thingy on my hand though to deliver the rest of my antibiotics on my veins)…

Three way thingy for delivering antibiotics directly to the veins

Three way thingy for delivering antibiotics directly to the veins

A few realizations… so far…
Not all Singaporeans are xenophobic, in fact my neighbours took it upon themselves to buy a cake and birthday present for my daughter (I was on Day 3 in the hospital on her 8th birthday)… my peers in the office sent me flower basket and a note that I have been missed (they probably miss my crazy jokes)…

My daughter's birthday surprise organized by our neighbours

My daughter’s birthday surprise organized by our neighbours

Flowers from my office mates

Flowers from my office mates

As far as the nurses and doctors in this particular hospital is concerned, I know they do not mean to be mean, I know they do not mean to be detached from my pains and my distress. IT was the indoctrination and the sterile system that made them almost robotic in their approach.. everytime they make their rounds,, they spend almost 80% of their time looking at the computer rather than looking at their patients.. it so sad.. that in the advent of technology.. less and less human touch is to be expected.. the more we all have to be responsible and vigilant about our own health…

80% of the time they are looking at the computer instead of the patient

80% of the time they are looking at the computer instead of the patient


My diet since yesterday (day after being released from the hospital) is young coconut or watermelon for breakfast, up to 10 bananas through out the day .. And then for dinner more watermelon, freshly cut aloe vera meat and juice of 2 papaya leaves with apple juice…

I still take the Augmentin ( just to complete the course), but I am going to detox myself from the toxins afterwards.. I also went to Raffles Medical Clinic to get serraenzyme tabs ( recommended by Selle one of my blog readers, but they dont have serraenzyme and was given another brand of enzyme). By the way, the GP at Raffles said that the cutting was unnecessary, all I needed was injectable antibiotics, pain reliever and iv/ drips for dehydration and nose drops!!! Isnt that just what i said in the beginning of this article? I also got mad at myself for putting myself through this…and embarassed in the sense that I didnt practice what I preach about prevention being the key.

The root cause of tonsilitis? A congested liver, constipation, congested colon ==> so that is what I am going to address at home. The root cause of adenoiditis? More likely, its the same, congested liver/constipation/congested colon.

Adenoid Face: Mouth breathing due to enlarged adenoid making it hard to breath through the nose

Adenoids are similar to the tonsils in being gland of lymph-like tissue in or near the backAdenoids of the throat. Tonsils are visible in the back of the throat on each side of the uvula while the adenoids are not typically visible through the mouth and are situated high in the back of the throat, behind the roof of the mouth about even with the nose. Enlarged adenoids can cause difficulty in breathing, may affect the ears, speech may be altered, and may include a sore throat. The breathing difficulty can result in snoring and loss of sleep with resulting chronic exhaustion and irritability. Typically adenoids, like tonsils, diminish in size as children mature.

Adenoids and tonsils are known to help prevent severe bacterial or viral infections by trapping these and preventing more damaging infections in the body. In the process the glands can become inflamed and swollen themselves. In some cases this can become a chronic infection of the adenoids or tonsils and they will remain swollen for a longer period of time. The protection these glands provide is proven for babies and infants while some medical studies suggest that this protection tapers off as children grow older. Some question this information.

To help address the symtomps (while I am also addressing the root cause), I will follow the suggested recommendations here:

And also look at other possible complications:

And possible pinched nerves due to spine misalignment (which is due to my Scoliosis):


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: